ZigBee Building Automation
Innovative, efficient and money-saving workplaces.
|ZigBee Building Automation offers a global standard for interoperable products enabling the secure and reliable monitoring and control of commercial building systems. It is the only BACnet® approved wireless mesh network standard for commercial buildings. Owners, operators and tenants can benefit from increased energy savings and ensure the lowest lifecycle costs with this green and easy-to-install robust wireless network.By using ZigBee Building Automation products in your building, you can contribute toward satisfying credits in the categories of Sustainable Sites, Energy and Atmosphere, Indoor Environmental Quality under the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED® green building certification program.By using these innovative products, it’s now possible to gain control over more building types, previously unreachable rooms or sensitive areas, and even extend existing BACnet building automation systems.
With ZigBee Building Automation, it will be possible to eliminate the web of wires required to monitor and manage a site. The network allows for fast system reconfigurations to accommodate a variety of situations while reducing installation and remodeling costs.
ZigBee Building Automation supports the needs of a diverse global ecosystem of stakeholders including building owners, operators, product manufacturers, architects and tenants. These groups know that a standard offers the best way to wirelessly monitor, control and automate commercial building systems to create the world’s most innovative, productive and safe work or learning environments.
Leading global building automation suppliers supporting the development of ZigBee Building Automation include Honeywell, Ingersoll-Rand/Trane, Johnson Controls, Schneider Electric and Siemens.
ZigBee and BACnet: Expanding Control
The ZigBee Alliance joined forces with BACnet, the leading global building automation and networking protocol for building automation, to fully support BACnet over ZigBee Building Automation networks. Soon it will be possible to easily expand your wired BACnet-based building systems to new areas by using wireless ZigBee Building Automation products.
Use Scenarios: Addressing problem areas and creating opportunities
There are currently 11 million miles (18 million km) of existing data cable installed within commercial buildings in the United States alone. Wireless building solutions embody the prevailing goal of sustainable buildings: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Fewer wired and more wireless solutions mean less disposed cabling will end up in landfills and less waste will be burned and emitted as toxic gases into the environment.
System Retrofits – Wireless solutions are ideally suited for existing spaces because they eliminate the need to remove floors, walls or ceilings to access control products. People or processes no longer need to relocate while upgrades are under way, allowing continued access to labs, sensitive storage, health facilities and critical process areas.
Reconfiguring Space – Open floor plans, multi-purpose areas or temporary spaces can now be automated. Wireless controls and sensors can be easily moved to suit the needs of tenants or one-time events. Conference and exhibition halls, warehouses, and auditoriums are just a few examples of spaces that are frequently restructured for different purposes.
Structural Restrictions – Buildings or areas with concrete, marble and cinderblock can now be wirelessly controlled. Spaces with atriums, high ceilings, historical features and other unique architectural elements can now be controlled wirelessly and without expensive wiring or worry of damaging unique architectural features.
Sensitive Environments – Facilities such as hospitals, museums, labs and data centers often house materials requiring very precise and stable air conditioning and are ideally suited for wireless control. With non-invasive installation, wireless control products make it possible for these areas to perform to the best of their ability.
- ZIGBEE TECHNOLOGY
- Global operation in the 2.4GHz frequency band according to IEEE 802.15.4
- Reliable, robust, low-power ZigBee PRO networking
- Long battery life
- Large ecosystem of manufacturers – leading global HVAC control suppliers are ZigBee members
- Wireless range up to 70m indoors and 400m outdoors with full control of transmitted output power
- Networking flexibility to cover entire campuses
- Open and freely available specification based on international standards
- Highly scalable solutions for thousands of devices
- WIRELESS BUILDING AUTOMATION SOLUTION FOR ALL COMMERCIAL BUILDING TYPES
- Provides wireless connectivity between BAS equipment controllers, lighting controllers, sensors and other devices within commercial buildings
- Wireless connectivity across multiple network levels
- Brings together ZigBee PRO and the Building Automation and Networking (BACnet) protocol, the standard for building automation communication
- BACNet Tunneling capability enables BACnet devices to communicate wirelessly
- CERTIFIED INTEROPERABLE PROFILE
- Devices are certified ZigBee Compliant and BTL listed which ensures proper interoperability and compliance to the standard
- Enables BAS and other commercial devices from a variety of vendors the ability to work together seamlessly for customer choice
- ADVANCED SECURITY
- Secures Building Automation networks by the use of AES 128 encryption, keys, and device authentication
- Encryption secures access to critical building management information from eavesdropping
- BUILT FOR LARGE-SCALE COMMERCIAL DEPLOYMENTS
- Supports thousands of devices in a single network
- Easily connect to the Internet or other networks using gateways
- New services can be introduced in a controlled manner to scale as requirements grow
- EASY REPLACEMENT OF OUTDATED CONTROLS
- Can be installed “on top of” or in lieu of unreliable hard-wired networks or outdated pneumatic systems
- Avoid issues when using old existing networks that may be degraded, or are simply incompatible
- Integrates control and monitoring devices for lighting, security, occupancy, motion detection and convenience
- Enables existing building management systems to expand to include wireless sensors
- Interoperability between a variety of building automation devices with building management systems regardless of manufacturer
- Reduces lifecycle costs – Interior spaces that are reconfigured frequently such as commercial office or retail can realize significant savings over the facility’s life cycle because rewiring costs are avoided
- Reduces retrofitting cost by eliminating need for expensive new wiring and modifications to buildings
- Reduces integration cost into existing systems through the use of ZigBee Gateways
- Open standard supports competitive marketplace of multiple products that lowers cost through shared components
- BACnet tunneling cluster allows for seamless integration into existing building management systems
- EASIER TO INSTALL THAN WIRED NETWORKS
- Support for preconfigured OEM products, “bolt up and power on” solutions
- No wires to pull, meaning less disruption to facility tenants and occupants
- Costs are further reduced by eliminating expensive conduit/cabling runs
- BETTER TENANT COMFORT
- Sensors can easily be moved within a control zone for better sensing of temperature, C02, light levels and humidity
- Sensors can easily be added to provide average readings from multiple points within zones for better control and tenant occupancy control
- No single point of failure
- Uses “mesh” technology that provides redundant paths of communication
- No wire exists that can be cut and potentially cause a loss of a significant portion of the network
- GREAT SOLUTION FOR SENSITVE ENVIRONMENTS
- Facilities such as hospitals, museums, labs, data centers often house materials that require precise and stable conditioning and remote monitoring
- These spaces can also be controlled using wireless products, without intrusion or disruption.
- Achieve precise environmental control and provide data management at the same time
- CUTTING-EDGE TECHNOLOGY
- Utilizes the newest wireless technologies available today.
- Allows building owners to differentiate themselves from the competition.
- WIRELESS IS A GREEN AND SUSTAINABLE SOLUTION
- Fundamentally reduces required piping and/or electrical systems for LEED points in new construction and existing buildings
- Reduces the use of expensive and energy-intensive manufacturing materials like copper
- Reduces the use of plastics for insulation of wiring
- Provides dramatic materials savings. For every 10 million wireless switches and sensors, saves:
- 50,000 miles of cable
- 3,000 tons copper
- 7,100 tons PVC
||The zigbee alliance is the foundation and future of the IoT. Established in 2002, our wide-ranging global membership collaborates to create and evolve universal open standards for the products transforming the way we live, work, and play. With our members’ deep and diverse expertise, robust certification programs, and a full suite of open IoT solutions, we are leading the movement toward a more intuitive, imaginative, and useful world.