ZigBee IP is the first open standard for an IPv6-based full wireless mesh networking solution and provides seamless Internet connections to control low-power, low-cost devices. It connects dozens of the different devices into a single control network. ZigBee IP was designed to specifically support the forthcoming ZigBee Smart Energy version 2 standard and was made available to members and the public in 2013.
The ZigBee IP specification enriches the IEEE 802.15.4 standard by adding network and security layers and an application framework. ZigBee IP offers a scalable architecture with end-to-end IPv6 networking, laying the foundation for an Internet of Things without the need for intermediate gateways. It offers cost-effective and energy-efficient wireless mesh network based on standard Internet protocols, such as 6LoWPAN, IPv6, PANA, RPL, TCP, TLS and UDP. It also features proven, end-to-end security using TLS1.2 protocol, link layer frame security based on AES-128-CCM algorithm and support for public key infrastructure using standard X.509 v3 certificates and ECC-256 cipher suite. ZigBee IP enables low-power devices to participate natively with other IPv6-enabled Ethernet, Wi-Fi and, HomePlug devices.
From this foundation, product manufacturers can use the ZigBee Smart Energy version 2 standard to create multi-vendor interoperable solutions. As with any ZigBee Alliance specification, custom applications, known as manufacturer specific profiles, can be developed without multi-vendor interoperability.
Characteristics of ZigBee IP include:
- Global operation in the 2.4GHz frequency band according to IEEE 802.15.4
- Regional operation in the 915Mhz (Americas), 868Mhz (Europe) and 920 MHz (Japan)
- Incorporates power saving mechanisms for all device classes
- Supports development of discovery mechanisms with full application confirmation
- Supports development of pairing mechanisms with full application confirmation
- Multiple star topology and inter-personal area network (PAN) communication
- Unicast and multi-cast transmission options
- Security key update mechanism
- Utilizes the industry standard AES-128-CCM security scheme
- Supports Alliance standards or manufacturer specific innovations
We've created a complete list of Features and Benefits for the ZigBee IP specification.